Professional Liability Insurance
One exceptionally valuable benefit provided to OSMT members* is the protection of professional liability and legal defense insurance. Premiums are included in your OSMT membership fee, at no additional cost. Members receive a personalized PLI Certificate each year, free telephone legal advice for PLI questions, and coverage for 'Prior Acts' provided you are an OSMT member when the allegation is initiated. Coverage can also be applied to legal representation during CMLTO complaints, investigations and disciplinary incidents.
*only Affiliate members are not covered by PLI insurance
Protection Highlights: (click here to print the protection highlights)
• $2,000,000 Professional Liability Insurance for each claim (inclusive of defense costs with a $5 million annual aggregate per individual) for negligence, errors or omissions made while providing professional services, including medical malpractice liability, libel and slander, breach of confidentiality (unintentional), copyright/intellectual property infringement, and maternity/retirement/cessation of practice (12 months at no cost). Claims expenses are in addition to limit by liability (defense costs).
• $125,000 Penal Defense Reimbursement for expenses incurred in criminal litigation, provided you are found not guilty of any criminal charges relating to a malpractice claim
• $100,000 Disciplinary Legal Expenses reimbursement for all reasonable legal expenses incurred if you are summoned to appear before any hearing or investigation by a provincial regulatory authority
• $100,000 Coroner's Inquest or tribunal
• $500 per day (to a maximum of $50,000) for lost wages due to attending pre-trial, trial, or appeal
• $50,000 Sexual Abuse Therapy & Counseling Fund (for abused patients)
• $25,000 Security Privacy Breach expenses (monitor & correct the breach)
For more details or claims, please contact our broker, LMS Prolink at 1-800-663-6828, or e-mail the OSMT Account Manager at OSMT@LMS.ca. Copies of the PLI policy are available to OSMT members upon request at 416-485-6768.
Home & Auto Insurance
The OSMT is proud to offer our members several options for home and auto insurance.
With origins dating back to 1880, Johnson Inc. is one of the oldest and most respected providers of insurance and benefits in Canada. Today, the company is part of the global RSA group, with employees across the country dedicated to serving you better. Members who qualify for the PS Plan get preferred rates, and access to a wide range of products and services. You receive personalized and convenient service. Highlights of the PS Plan include: 24-hour service, on-line access to your insurance coverage details, and interest-free monthly payments. You may also get extras on home and auto insurance. To receive a free, no-obligation quote, or to find out more about Johnson Inc., please contact them directly at www.johnson.ca/osmt or call toll-free 1-800-563-0677.
PROLINK has provided OSMT with professional liability insurance for many years. They have now expanded their offerings to include Health & Dental, Member Assistance Plan, Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment and Disability Insurance. For more information click on the links provided below.
PROLINK & OSMT Group Benefits Flyer
AIL (American Income Life)
OSMT members and their families can receive an unlimited-use discount card from AIL on prescription eyewear at participating opticals. Members are also automatically covered by a $4,000 AIL Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance policy.