Internationally Educated Medical Laboratory Assistant/TechnicianIf you are a newcomer to Ontario and have a diploma, degree and relevant work experience from another country as a Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician, you need to have your academic credentials assessed and recognized in order to be eligible to write the OSMT MLA/T certification exam under the "Special Considerations" category.
Special Consideration applicants must submit the following documents:
- A completed Exam Application Form.
- A copy of your resume.
- A letter from your current employer or past employer(s) stating position held, length of time in the position, and a list of duties performed. Record of Employment (ROE) and contract/agreement are not accepted.
- Experience verification form. Experience that includes a minimum of 20 successful phlebotomy procedures, 10 successful ECG procedures, and 80 hours of practical experience in a medical testing facility* or equivalent. This form must be signed by the laboratory director or supervisor as proof of completion. *Note: A testing facility is a laboratory licensed under the “Laboratory and Specimen Collection Centre Licensing Act” where the candidate is/has performing/performed technical functions within the scope of practice of a medical laboratory assistant/technician.
- An academic credentials assessment must be provided by all applicants who received their education outside of Canada. Please see below information on OSMT approved assessment centres.
- A copy of a certificate, diploma, or degree from the highest level of post-secondary education received in the science field.
For more information about exam registration - Click here
PLEASE NOTE: Exam application forms and documents for SPECIAL CONSIDERATION are NOT to be submitted by fax. Special consideration applications should be scanned and emailed to email@example.com or mailed and post-marked by the deadline date.
Your education and experience in another country do not automatically make you eligible to write the certification exam.
ACADEMIC CREDENTIALS ASSESSMENT SERVICES
(accepted by OSMT)
Comparative Education Service (CES)
University of Toronto, School of Continuing Studies
158 St. George Street
Toronto, ON M5S 2V8
Tel: (416) 978-0393
Fax: (416) 978-2185
World Education Services
1400 - 2 Carlton Street
Toronto, ON M5B 1J3
Tel: (416) 972-0070
Fax: (416) 972-9004
International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS)
100 Stone Road West, Suite 303
Guelph, ON N1G 5L3
Tel: (519) 763-7282
Fax: (519) 763-6964
International Credentials Evaluation Service (ICES)
3700 Willingdon Ave.
Burnaby, BC V5G 3H2
Tel: (604) 434-5734
Fax: (604) 435-7033
Internationally Educated Medical Laboratory Technologist
To work in Canada as a medical laboratory technologist (MLT), you must establish your eligibility through the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) with a Prior Learning Assessment. Please contact them directly for further information regarding the Prior Learning Assessment and Certification of MLTs.
CSMLS Prior Learning Assessment information for MLTs - Click here
The Ontario Society of Medical Technologists (OSMT) is a professional society for Medical Laboratory Technologists and Medical Laboratory Assistants/Technicians in the province of Ontario. The Society does not maintain an employment bureau, get involved with Citizenship and Immigration matters, grant permission to practice or evaluate credentials for employment purposes.